Tug Master’s House, Circa 1905
Location: 107 Burnham Road
This home was constructed by the Crown William Paper Company to house the log hoist and tug boat manager. Rube Confer, manager, and his brothers Harry, John, Ed and Sy all lived in the house along with his parents and a sister. Rube and Sy both worked with the log hoist until the late 1920’s when the operation shut down.
The house is a very good example of the Craftsman style of architecture, which in Oregon takes two forms. One type employs details which appear handcrafted; the other incorporates classically inspired features such as those seen on the subject property.