Here is information about some of our special events.
The Society is very focused on building partnerships with other organizations within the community and beyond. Special events provide opportunities to work with the commercial sector, other non-profits, and governmental agencies for our mutual benefit. Together we can make an even greater impact and give back to the community.
Festival of the Arts
June 21-23: Bolling & Co. The Art of Antique Wallpaper
The Lake Oswego Preservation Society was proud to host Bolling & Co. (bollingco.com) specialists offering the country’s largest selection of rare museum-quality antique wallpapers as part of the 2019 Arts Festival.
We’re currently lining up a new exhibit for next year!
Local History Talks The Society offers an array of talks and has presented them to over 30 local organizations. For more information, please visit our Speaker’s page.
Lake Oswego Farmer’s Market Two times a year, typically in July and August we set up our booth at the market. This is an opportunity for community outreach as well as a venue to sell our unique Lake Oswego gift items. Our next date is August 24, 2019.
Lock Fest The Society has been an exhibitor at Lock Fest sponsored by the Willamette Falls Heritage Foundation. This event celebrates the historic Willamette Falls Navigational Locks, which first opened in 1873, and rallies public support for their repair and reopening.
Lake Oswego Public Library Storytelling Festival We have participated in the library’s festival and we have offered a walking tour, The Five Families of Old Town, as a part of this celebration.
Star Spangled 4th of July Parade Our president, Marylou Colver, gets behind the wheel of our mascot, a 1958 red and white Nash Metropolitan, nicknamed Smiley. Smiley leads the way while Society members and friends carry our banner and hand goodies to children lining the route.
Antique Fairs The Society has participated in local antique fairs. They provide a great venue for our retro gift items such as the replica of a 1953 apron featuring a whimsical map of Lake Oswego and our “Greetings from Lake Oswego” large letter postcards.
Oregon’s Iron Jubilee: Celebrating 150 Years – September 9, 2017
September 6, 2017 Update – Jubilee Fireworks Cancelled
This information was posted today by the Lake Oswego Review: “Fireworks planned for Saturday evening as the grand finale of Oregon’s Iron Jubilee has been canceled because of the region’s hot and dry conditions.
Marylou Colver, the founder and president of the Lake Oswego Preservation Society, told The Review today that organizers made the decision in consultation with LOFD Fire Marshal Gert Zoutendijk, who expressed concerns about weather conditions and then decided to revoke the necessary permits.
The rest of the celebration, which is scheduled from 3-9 p.m. Saturday in George Rogers Park, will go on as planned, though. That includes bluegrass music, clogging, food, a pioneer baseball game, a blacksmith demonstration and horse-drawn wagon rides around the park to the Iron Workers Cottage on Wilbur Street.
In addition, Lake Oswego resident Jim Bolland will be playing his banjo on the porch of the History Center & Museum (40 Wilbur St.) from 3-6 p.m. And from 3-6 p.m. in lower George Rogers Park, kids will get to participate in a scavenger hunt that takes the form of five riddles – and walk away with a small prize for participating.”
This summer marks the 150th anniversary of the birth of the Oregon iron industry. The discovery of iron near Oswego in 1861 was an important event in the development of the West. Prior to 1867 all iron on the Pacific Coast—both rough bars called “pig iron” and finished iron products—had to be shipped 17,000 miles around the Horn in a hazardous voyage that took five months. The cost of these imports was often ten times their cost in the East. On August 24, 1867 the first iron manufactured on the Pacific Coast was cast at the blast furnace that still stands in George Rogers Park.
Newspapers from British Columbia to San Francisco hailed this event as “a cause for sincere rejoicing.” Legendary San Francisco photographer Carleton E. Watkins captured images of the new works shortly after they went into operation. To satisfy a curious public, Watkins produced both mammoth prints and stereo views of the works. The importance of the iron industry to Oswego is commemorated in its oldest street names. When J. C. Trullinger filed the plat for Oswego in January 1867, he named six of the streets after the furnace and the men responsible for building it. This original town site is now Lake Oswego’s Old Town Neighborhood.
On September 9th from 3:00 to 9:00, the Lake Oswego Preservation Society and the City of Lake Oswego will celebrate the birth of the Oregon iron industry with a family-friendly jubilee in George Rogers Park. Admission is free.
The schedule of events is:
3:00-6:00 pm Jubilee companion exhibit at the History Center & Museum – Iron Company Workers Cottage 40 Wilbur Street Lake Oswego, OR 97034
3:00-6:30 pm Horse-Drawn Wagon Rides by Chafin Farms Carriages with two stops: Green Street near the furnace & the History Center & Museum on Wilbur Street
3:00-6:30 pm Blacksmith Demonstration by Susan Gawecki – George Rogers Park memorial garden
3:30, 4:30, 5:30 pm Furnace Tours by Dr. Susanna Kuo – George Rogers Park memorial garden
4:00-6:30 pm Pioneer Base Ball Game – George Rogers Park ball field
6:00-8:00 pm Kids Pioneer Art Activity – George Rogers Park memorial garden
6:15-8:00 pm Bluegrass and Clogging performed by Leela Grace & Betsy Branch – George Rogers Park memorial garden
Many thanks to our event sponsors:
Rick & Erika Miller
Gregory Meadors & Erin O’Rourke-Meadors
History Center & Museum Grand Opening The public was invited to the grand opening of the Society’s History Center and Museum in the City-owned, historic iron worker’s cottage located at 40 Wilbur Street in the Old Town Neighborhood. It was held on Saturday, April 8th from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. Regular museum hours are every Tuesday and Thursday and the first Saturday of each month from 1:00 to 4:00 pm. Our inaugural exhibit is entitled: Oregon’s Iron Jubilee 1867-2017: Celebrating the First Iron Furnace on the Pacific Coast.
Civic Events For one of the City’s newest parks, we suggested the name “Sundeleaf” to honor Lake Oswego’s most prolific architect. The name was selected and we were asked to speak at the dedication of the Sundeleaf Plaza. We also nominated a heritage tree in the Old Town neighborhood and were invited to talk about the historic importance of trees at its dedication, which was one of the City’s Arbor Day celebrations.
The Reel Lake Oswego: Clown Diver to Sky Divers – Free Screening Thursday, May 19, 2016
The Lake Oswego Preservation Society, in partnership with the City of Lake Oswego presents: The Reel Lake Oswego featuring film from the 1920s through the 1960s. It includes footage of early water sports such as aquaplaning, a 1930s equestrian event at the Lake Oswego Hunt, the City’s 1947 Rose Parade float, dining at Irelands on the lake, golfing at the Oswego Lake Country Club in the 1930s and 1950s, the Boones Ferry Day Parade in the 1960s, and even a shark-infested Oswego Lake!
This film was made possible by those who generously shared their home movies, some dating back to 1924! We are also grateful to the Oregon Historical Society for contributing footage from their collection. From these never-seen-before sources, the Society has created a visually compelling narrated film that brings to life scenes of Oswego, Lake Grove, Oswego Lake, and community events from the 1920s through the 1960s. Lake Oswego’s special legacy will live on — in motion picture — for generations.
The award-winning Kate McMahon Productions is the film’s producer. A $4,000 Clackamas County Community Partnership Program grant, along with our generous sponsors, funded this project.
The Bank of Oswego
City of Lake Oswego
Clackamas County Tourism Council
Kasey and Steve Holwerda
Lakewood Center for the Arts
Gregory Meadors and Erin O’Rourke-Meadors
Brad and Nancy Moore
Oregon Historical Society
A DVD is available for purchase for home viewing purposes only.
Meet the Artist Paul A. Lanquist Spring Poster Release
Nicoletta’s Table and Marketplace at 333 S. State Street generously hosted a meet the artist event on Sunday, March 20, 2016. Paul A. Lanquist, the renowned Northwest poster artist, was on hand to sign his work.
The Society has commissioned this four-poster series from Mr. Lanquist. Each poster features a historic Lake Oswego structure in a different season. The final poster, spring, depicts the Jantzen Island boathouse designed by architect Richard Sundeleaf in 1931. This Gothic style structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the City of Lake Oswego Landmark Designation List. The 18 x 24 inch 12-color giclée print posters are $25 each.
All four posters may be purchased at Nicoletta’s Table and Marketplace and the Lake Oswego City Hall store as well as on our Shop page. Proceeds from the sale of these posters are earmarked for a special preservation fund.
Paul A. Lanquist Winter Poster Release The Lake Oswego Preservation Society combines Lake Oswego history and art with our series of posters designed by famed Northwest artist, Paul A. Lanquist. The third poster, in the four-season series, features a winter scene of the iconic 1866 Oswego Iron Furnace. Upon the release of each poster, the community has been invited to a meet the artist and poster signing reception.
The 12-color giclée print 18 x 24-inch posters are $25 each. Please visit the Shop page for more information. One hundred percent of the sales help fund the all-volunteer non-profit and are dedicated to our mission: To support Lake Oswego’s historic fabric through advocacy and education.