The Lake Oswego Preservation Society has created a canvas tote “cement bag!” The red and blue logo it features is based on an actual canvas bag used by the Oregon Portland Cement Company at Oswego. The original cement bag is in the Society’s collection. A card accompanies each bag with information about this industrial operation that was part of our town’s history for over 70 years.
The cement plant was located where the Oswego Pointe apartments stand today. Construction began in 1909, but the first cement was not produced until 1916. “Portland” is a type of cement; it’s not named after Portland, Oregon. Cement production ceased in 1981, all other operations were discontinued in 1986, and the plant was demolished in 1987.
These cotton totes are a convenient size — 12″ x 15″ x 3.5″ — with two shoulder-length straps.